The Fractional CMO - About Stephen Dorsey
- Senior level strategic and tactical contributor with demonstrated success driving business growth, profitability and scalability
- Marketing and branding expert with a proven track record of successfully integrating multi-disciplinary marketing and brand strategies
- Strategic manager with demonstrated leadership and relevant experience establishing organizational processes locally and internationally, focused on building collaborative teams and implementing brand awareness and customer acquisition across varied channels
- Seasoned branding manager with experience in marketing management, including research, design, strategic business plans and partnerships with KPIs ensuring accountability and alignment
- Omni-media digital strategist, technologist and creative producer with extensive experience in digital engagement including online, subscription based e-commerce, digital out of home and social and mobile integrations
- Broad range of non-profit, retail, food and beverage, finance, restaurant, digital media and entertainment experience
Professional Experience/ Career Highlights
- The Fractional CMO (Toronto) - Principal - 2007- present. Fractional CMO advisory services. Senior level expertise and experience across multiple industry sectors
- Dorsey Studios (Toronto) - Principal / Producer / Creative Director -2006- present. Boutique creative studio specializing in visual storytelling, branded design, content marketing and podcast production.
- PlayNetwork (Seattle) - VP Marketing & Creative - 1999 – 2006. A 1998 start-up, PlayNetwork disrupted the in-store music (Muzak) industry through technical innovation and first-to-market media customization capabilities. Today, it is a global leader of in-store media services. Led all global marketing activities and strategic planning initiatives.
- Dorsey & Associates (Vancouver) - Integrated Marketing Strategist 1996 – 1999. Strategic and tactical advisory consultant with a focused on integrated marketing and branding.
- Bose Corporation (Toronto / Boston) - Senior Marketing Manager 1993-1996. Global leader in consumer audio electronics. Spearheaded all marketing activities in Canadian market and contributed to North American wide product launches.
Marketing & Branding
- Directed and developed a strategic marketing and brand plan for Haven Toronto, a non-profit agency. Rebranding and launching new messaging across all media channels resulting in exponential increase in private donations
- Developed and implemented media-based retail digital experiences and engagement applications to engage audiences in-store and streamline sales operations
- Produced an award-winning integrated media campaign for GotStyle, promoting Skype/video shopping. Branded YouTube video has generated more than seven million views to date. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQLcskCdhXI&t=13s
- Developed and deployed several digital out-of-home networks and related content programs, leveraging innovative content management system platforms for diverse clients to achieve audience engagement objectives
- Developed the PlayNetwork brand from the ground up and establishing it as the industry leader in just six years with 3,300% growth. My efforts resulted in two Inc. 500 awards
- Revamped BOSE Canadian loyalty retail sales program, including the French-language introduction in Quebec, and launched online portal that increased participation by 400% over three years
- Spearheaded the design and launch of the BOSE Corporation global website that delivered first-to-market advantage in product and service category
- Developed and led a branded community-based program, including a website, for Super Bowl Champion and CFL All-Star athlete-in-partnership with the BC Lions and Boys & Girls Club benefiting disadvantaged youth
- Oversaw global brand and trademark protection and established and managed brand standardization and related processes across more than 20 international markets.
- Directed and managed diverse talents and teams to successfully collaborate in developing visual content for distribution across all media channels
- Executed and managed hundreds of projects and tactical initiatives with staff, delivering quality results on time and on budget
- Forecasting experience, $1 million budgets and P&L responsibilities
- Supported business development efforts that resulted in multi-year, recurring media revenue contracts with The Gap, Finish Line, Chili’s, Levis, Children’s Place, Chico’s, Hot Topic and others
- Developed E-com portal PlayNetwork in partnership with Costco (USA) managing and implementing all marketing initiatives online and in-store
- Directed all online and offline corporate communications, including development of award-winning e-newsletter(blog) and innovative multimedia sales presentation for PlayNetwork that won Gold at the American Business Awards
- Managed, curated and implemented in-store media program for Aroma Espresso Bar locations Canada-wide
- Co-created, executed and produced premier outdoor visual art exhibition at the Vancouver Outdoor Art Exhibition, resulting in $1 million in revenues for participating artists
- Co-developed a private alumni portal for Governor General Canadian Leadership Conference (GGCLC) providing more than 2,000 alumni with effective communications and network opportunities
- Provided strategic advice to clients and senior teams on the internal and external impact of executive decisions and brand issues with stakeholders.
- York University, Executive Development, Marketing Certificate Programs
- BC Institute of Technology, Marketing Management & Advertising Diploma
- Camosun College, Studied 2 Years of Commerce
- Instructor/Certificate Developer, University of Toronto, School of Continuing Studies “Omni-Channel Content Marketing”
- Director, Friends of Sorauren Park, Board of Directors
- Alumni, Governor General’s Canadian Leadership Conference
- Fluent in French and English with conversational Spanish